Dec 23, 2009

Boxing, Baseball and Golf

This is a post about consisting of some further thoughts on power. Tiger says he feels like he is throwing a big right uppercut. The Golf Channel describes it as keeping your right arm bent on the downswing until impact. Jim Hardy describes it as baseball homerun hitters are pull hitters. He further explains that power is created when the arms stay closer to the body. I'm going to describe it as a powerful right hand punch starts with your upper right torso (shoulder). Pull your arms in tight and bent like you are a boxer--hands up. Now make a punch with your dominate hand. Hopefully your shoulder will rotate back and your arm will stay bent as you powerfully move your shoulder forward and then the last thing that happens is your arm extending outward towards the target. Compare this motion in a power sense to only extending your arm with no shoulder involved in that same punch. This is the same difference in power you can have in your golf swing. This is why every right handed tour pro ends their swing with the right shoulder being their closest body part to the target. Compare this right shoulder action to your horizontal swing and become more aware of the role your right shoulder can play in your golf swing.

3 comments:

  1. Doug,
    As such an amazing teacher of the game, I thought you might add a 'Video' section to your blog.I have had the great pleasure of learning aspects of the game from you personally and think others would benefit greatly. Thanks for providing such a great blog, keep up the terrific work!

    -Jbird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan--You are correct--sir..It needs to happen--as a moving picture is worth 1K...I have yet to take it to the next level as I am little camera shy. I still don't see you as a follower. Nice pic! When you and JEN gonna be in Lauderdale-Miami area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was using that image of turning back or coiling with the right shoulder before throwing a punch as I practicted swinging my 9-iron through a mound of snow in my back yard up here in Beantown at a balmy 35 degrees F. Is this what I have heard referred to as 'the chase'?

    ReplyDelete